Riding a motorcycle can be a lot of fun, but it can also be dangerous. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there are nearly 5,000 fatalities each year due to motorcycle accidents. In addition, motorcyclists are 30 times more likely to die in an accident than someone who is driving a car. While many factors can contribute to a motorcycle accident, the most severe damage usually are injuries sustained by the rider.
If you have been involved in a motorcycle accident in Oregon, it is important to contact an experienced Oregon motorcycle injury lawyer who can help you recover the compensation you deserve. The most common injuries suffered by motorcyclists in accidents are head injuries, road rash, broken bones, internal bleeding, and whiplash.
- Head injuries. Head injuries are particularly serious because they can lead to traumatic brain injuries (TBIs). TBIs can cause a wide range of symptoms, including headaches, dizziness, nausea, blurred vision, memory problems, mood swings, and fatigue. These injuries can have serious long-term effects, including memory problems, mood swings, and difficulty concentrating. If you have suffered a head injury in a motorcycle accident, it is important to seek medical attention immediately and contact an experienced Oregon motorcycle injury lawyer.
- "Road rash" is another common injury. This is a traumatic injury to the skin caused by friction with the road surface. Road rash can be very painful and can lead to infection if not treated properly. Further, road rash can cause road debris, rocks, glass, and other foreign material to become lodged deep in the skin tissue, where it can cause future problems if not addressed by a doctor.
- Broken bones are another common type of injury suffered in motorcycle accidents. The most common broken bones are in the extremities, such as the arms and legs. However, ribs and collarbones are also commonly broken in motorcycle accidents. If you have suffered a broken bone in a motorcycle accident, it is important to seek medical attention immediately and then contact an experienced Oregon motorcycle injury lawyer.
- Internal bleeding is another serious type of injury that can occur in a motorcycle accident. Internal bleeding occurs when blood vessels are ruptured and bleed internally. This can cause serious health problems, including organ damage, shock, and even death. If you suspect that you or a loved one has suffered internal bleeding, it is important to seek medical attention immediately and contact an experienced Oregon motorcycle injury lawyer.
- Spinal cord injuries are another serious type of injury in a motorcycle accident. Spinal cord injuries can cause paralysis or other serious health problems caused by an initial impact on a vehicle or other object during a fall. Any time your spine is subjected to unusually large impact force or twisting, the risk of a spinal injury dramatically increases. Whiplash is another common injury from motorcycle accidents. Whiplash is caused by the head being forcefully and quickly thrown forward or backward, resulting in neck pain and stiffness. Oregon injury lawyers see whiplash as one of the most common complaints among clients involved in a motor vehicle accident. Whiplash can also be difficult to prove because it is a "soft tissue" injury, which means that although you might be hurting, sometimes it is difficult to see on an x-ray or other medical tests exactly what is causing the pain. An experienced Oregon injury attorney can explain your symptoms so that you can recover financially.
If you've been injured in an Oregon motorcycle accident or motor vehicle accident, you need a lawyer on your side skilled at helping your recover. Call the experienced injury attorneys at Pacific Injury Law Firm today.