Bicycling is a popular form of transportation and recreation in Oregon, but the risk of bicycle accidents is always present. According to the Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT), there were 1,743 reported bicycle crashes in the state between 2012 and 2018.
Of thiose 1,743 reported bicycle crashes that occurred in Oregon, 70% involved collisions with motor vehicles and 18 resulted in fatalities. Portland State University found that nearly one-third of all Portland residents have been involved in a bicycle accident at some point. Common causes include failure to yield right-of-way, speeding, improper passing and running stop signs/red lights. Wearing proper safety gear such as a helmet is recommended to reduce risk of an accident while biking.
The majority of these collisions involved bicyclists colliding with motor vehicles, accounting for nearly 70 percent of all bicycle-involved crashes during this period. The remaining 30 percent involved bicyclists striking fixed objects or other cyclists, or being involved in single-vehicle accidents.
Out of those 1,743 reported bike crashes during this time frame: - 18 resulted in fatalities; - 1,535 resulted in injuries; and - 190 were property damage only.
In addition to these statistics from ODOT’s crash database, a recent survey by Portland State University found that nearly one-third of all Portland residents have been involved in a bicycle accident at some point in their lives. This suggests that bicycle safety is an issue people should be aware of throughout the state – not just Portland – as the risk for collisions is present no matter where you are riding your bike.
So what are some common causes for bicycle accidents? According to data from ODOT, some common contributing factors include failure to yield right-of-way (20%), speeding (17%), improper passing (10%), and running stop signs/red lights (9%). It’s important to note that many factors can play into any given crash incident so it’s important to keep an eye out for any potentially hazardous situations while riding your bike on public roads or trails.
One way to reduce your risk for getting into an accident while biking is simply wearing proper safety gear such as a helmet and reflective clothing when necessary. But even if you take all necessary precautions while riding your bike there is still no guarantee you won’t be involved in an accident due to someone else’s negligence or recklessness on the roadways. If you find yourself injured as a result of another person’s actions it may be wise to contact an experienced personal injury attorney who can help protect your rights and ensure you receive fair compensation for any losses suffered due to another person’s negligence behind the wheel or handlebars.
In conclusion, while bicycling can be great fun it also comes with certain risks that must be taken seriously by cyclists and motorists alike if we want our roads and trails safe for everyone who uses them - regardless if they are traveling by car or on two wheels!